The Association of Education and Research Greenhouse Curators, herein
known as AERGC, is for the exchange of ideas and information through
organized channels with regard to the operation of institutional
greenhouse/controlled environment facilities involved in growing
plant materials for education, research, and/or public outreach.
Membership consists primarily, but is not limited to, current and
former college and university staff. Interested individuals from
other types of institutions e.g. botanical gardens, research and
development firms, and industry representatives, are welcome as
members. Annual dues are required to gain membership and to insure
Membership dues are collected to meet the routine expenses of communicating
AERGC business. There will be no intention of realizing a profit
from member dues. Adjustment of dues can be suggested by any member
but must be accepted by a simple majority vote of members in good
standing. Access to AERGC funds will be through an elected officer
and their respective institution.
The officers shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary
and a Treasurer. Nominations and elections will be held prior to
the annual meeting with terms commencing at the annual meeting.
The term of office will be for two years with no restriction for
re-election. In the event that an officer is unable to serve out
his or her term, a member currently serving on any of the committees
will be appointed by the remaining officers to fill the position
for the rest of the term.
Duties of the Elected Officers are as follows:
Communicate with membership as needed
represent the AERGC as needed
Chair of the Election and Rules Committee
Chair of the Development/Special Projects Committee
Additional duties as requested by Chairperson
Record and distribute meeting information
Chair of the Communications Committee
Maintain AERGC account
Provide annual financial report to membership
Pay authorized expenses as needed
Chair of the Membership Committee
Chair of the Finance Committee
Each member in good standing will be allowed one vote. Adoption
of by-laws, amendments, and elections shall be decided by a simple
majority of those members in good standing who cast ballots. Ballots
for any vote taken throughout the year must be received by the Election
and Rules committee one week prior to the annual meeting. Results
will then be announced at the annual meeting and subsequently via
other print media. The Elections and Rules Committee will distribute,
collect, and tabulate ballots and announce results of all votes.
The following standing committees with listed members exist to perpetuate
the AERGC mission. Committees will generally conduct business electronically
or at the annual meeting. Elected committee members who are not
AERGC officers serve two-year terms with no term limitations. In
the event that a committee member is unable to serve out his or
her term, the Chairperson will appoint an AERGC member in good standing
to fill the position for the rest of the term. All committee business
including topics for discussion and procedure are open. Any AERGC
member is encouraged to provide input to committees.
Two members are elected to serve, one of which is a past annual
meeting host. Upon selection of site, the next meeting host automatically
becomes a third member if they are not an electee. Members report
and communicate directly to the Chairperson.
• Assist Meeting Host in Annual Meeting planning
• Work with Finance Committee and host to develop budget and solicit
sponsorship for both the meeting and the travel grant (work with
Special Projects Committee on travel grant).
• Assist in web site maintenance and updates of meeting information
• Prepare documents, forms and information for Annual Meeting for
publication in newsletter
• Prepare signage for Annual Meeting, including posters recognizing
• Prepare registration packets for Annual Meeting
• Assist with on-site registration
Members are Secretary who serves as committee chair and three other
elected members. Members report to the Secretary.
• Assist Secretary in quarterly newsletter production by soliciting,
writing, or editing at least one article for each issue
• Prepare information/photos/PDF files and related content for the
AERGC web site
• Assist in web site maintenance and updates
• Assist Secretary in correspondence. (e.g. acknowledgements to
meeting sponsors, speakers, and vendors)
• Assist Meeting Committee in preparing documents, forms and information
for Annual Meeting
• Work with other committees as needed for the production of brochures
and other communications
Two members are elected to serve. The Treasurer serves as a third
member and committee chair. Members report to the Treasurer.
• Prepare and disseminate materials for member recruitment and retention
• Manage mailing list (coordinate with Treasurer)
• Develop list of potential members
• Develop recruitment plan
• Produce annual membership directory
One member is elected to serve. The Vice-Chairperson serves as the
• Assist in preparing/mailing ballots for elections and issues.
• Prepare bylaw amendments as required.
• Prepare articles for newsletter on elections and bylaw issues.
• Receive and tabulate ballots and report results.
Two members are elected to serve. The Treasurer serves as the third
member and committee chair.
• Work with Meeting Committee and Annual Meeting Host to develop
budget and solicit sponsorship for both the meeting and the travel
grant (work with Special Projects Committee on travel grant).
• Assist Treasurer in collecting/updating Membership dues
• Assist Special Projects Committee in establishing a foundation
• Assist Treasurer as needed.
Two members are elected to serve. The Vice-Chairperson serves as
the third member and committee chair.
• Coordinate with Finance Committee for solicitation of sponsorship
for travel grants.
• Prepare application form /select deadline for travel grant for
publication in newsletter and web site.
• Receive applications and select recipients.
• Coordinate with Treasurer to send payment to recipients.
• Work with Finance Committee to establish and AERGC Foundation.
• Prepare information/ donation forms for the Foundation.
• Develop ad campaign to announce Foundation and solicit support.
• Address other projects as directed by membership.